Indians are racists!
Good day all. I am excited to write my first blog. It may be just a speck of light in a galaxy that is internet. May be nobody will ever read this blog. Nevertheless, I feel that I have to do it even if it is for the sake of completeness in the social world of web 2.0. So here it is - I finally made my mark. I am one of those who can finally say that I have also done it.
I created my first account in 2005 and it took four long years to get around to it. I always thought that I were to write, I should write something backed by solid research. Well that never happened in between my work with increasing responsibilities, and my hobbies. So I ended up breaking my self-imposed silence with some thoughts. It is not researched, and hence not backed by numbers but rather by my experience and perspective.
It is interesting to find how much ignorance there is even in USA, which is supposed to be the best in terms of freedom and availability of information in this world. People who are accusing others of racism are being extremely racist. Good and bad exist in every race, every culture and country.
Haven't Hollywood produced enough movies where marriages have been denied because of difference in class? African Americans who are well-placed will deny marriage with African American who don't qualify. Class system exists everywhere.
Indians are most diverse and most tolerant. That's why when people were persecuted in other countries for their religious beliefs, they found refuge in India. Independence of thought resulted in evolution of many world religions from India: Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism, to name the major beliefs.
Look of Indians are also diverse: some will look Latino, European, Mongoloid (Far East), African American, Middle East and of course, distinctively Indian. In my family, my grandmother looked like Mother Teresa, my uncle looks Mongoloid, my cousin looks Middle Eastern, my sister looks Latino and I can go on. This is because, for thousands of years, people from all over the world came to India, for studies, research, trade and territorial expansion.
Forty years back, India had her first women as head of state - we still don't have that in USA. We had minorities taking up Head of State position for decades. Five years back, the countries two top posts were taken by a Muslim and a Sikh, not by a Hindu. What does it say about the country?
Caste system was initiated thousands of years back for specialization of trade and took a negative turn some 200 years back when India became inward looking, might be because they were then humiliated, tortured, raped and killed under the rule of the Britishers. While this bane system still exists predominantly in rural areas, the urban India is quite different from the perspective of this caste system. Moreover, the intensity and expanse of this system varies from state to state too.
People who think Indians are married only thorough family arrangements are also misinformed as all stereotypes are. A lot of urban Indians use the same tool of internet classified as people in USA do. Interestingly, the Indian parents have been using newspaper classifieds for decades to access matches for their kids. Nevertheless, marriages in India find lot more involvement from family, both immediate and extended than one finds in USA. It is logical because family spends a lot more time together than in individualist society in USA. On the topic of arranged marriage, one may not be aware that a lot of high-class marriages in USA are arranged and involve family a lot more than what you see in case of marriages of all other people.
Although ignorance is bliss, it behooves upon all of us to be educated about something before we form opinion about them.
Comments
Post a Comment